Getting the Gospel out
I am eager to preach the gospel to you …
for I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes
Goal: That the people of Jacob’s Well Church would share the good news of the Gospel with 2,020 people by next year’s annual meeting, January 24th 2021.
Why: Why should we make getting the gospel out a priority in our life and in the life of our church?
- Because this is the mission of our Savior. Jesus said, “For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.” ~ Luke 19:10
- Because Jesus is the Best News.And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.” ~ Luke 2:10-11
- Because salvation is our neighbors greatest need. Some people brought to Jesus a paralytic, lying on a bed. And when Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, “Take heart, my son; your sins are forgiven.” ~ Mat 9:2
- Because we are commanded to.
- And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. (19) Go therefore and make disciples…” ~ Mat 28:18-19
- Because heaven rejoices.
- I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents. ~ Luke 15:10
- Because we often neglect sharing the good news of the Gospel!
- We often get distracted by the busyness of our life from that which is most important.
- We often allow fear of rejection and feeling unequipped to keep us from sharing the Gospel.
- We often get complacent to God’s heart for the lost.
- We often shift our personal responsibility for evangelism unto clergy, church plants and other Christians.
How: Through personal conversations.
- This would preferably happen face to face, but may also happen through a phone call, e-mail exchange or some other interactive format.
- It could happen in Sunday School, over lunch, in the school room, at the work place, in a coffee shop, on an airplane, in a car, in our home, at a nursing home or anywhere else in God’s creation!
Support & Equipping:
- Getting the Gospel Out podcasts will be posted the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of every month. The podcast will be hosted by Pastor Dan Jackson and he and his guests will discuss Evangelism Topics, including…Why should we do evangelism? What we must share in order to share the Gospel? How to start a spiritual conversation with someone in order to get to the Gospel? What Bible passages you can use to share the Gospel? What illustrations you can use to share the Gospel? How to share the Gospel with children? How to share the Gospel with a house key? What is pre evangelism & post evangelism? What to do if someone asks me a question I don’t know the answer to? And more!
- Pray: We are asking Jacob’s Well leadership, small groups, staff and volunteers to faithfully pray for the 2020 in 2020 initiative whenever their small group meets and prays.
- Provide evangelistic material and discipleship booklets (Life Issues) to the congregation.
- Journey Evangelism Class will be provided this summer by Pastor Dan.
- The officers of Jacob’s Well Church would each share the gospel with at least 12 people by 1/24/2021
- That every person would consider sharing the Gospel with at least 12 people by 1/24/2021. (one per month).
- The officers of the church would pray for those to whom we are sharing the Gospel.
- After prayer, Jacob’s Well attenders will anonymously submit a 2020 in
2020 Campaign Commitment Card. They will be encouraged to share their
commitment with their small group or a Christian friend for the purpose of
encouragement, prayer and accountability. You can also submit your commitment on line.
- When you share the Gospel, under the "2020 in 2020" tab on our website, there will be a page titled "I share the Gospel" Please go there and share with us who you shared the gospel with. (first name only so as to honor the recipient’s confidentiality).
- These forms will be sent to the officers of the church, to pray for that person by name.
- We will provide a weekly update on our 2020 in 2020 campaign goals in our bulletin.
What is the Gospel?
- It is the Good News of the Salvation God has provided through His Son, Jesus Christ.
- 1Co 15:1-4 Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, (2) and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. (3) For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, (4) that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures,
We don’t fail in our evangelism if we faithfully tell the gospel to someone who is not converted;
we fail only if we don’t faithfully tell the gospel at all.
– Mark Dever The Gospel and Personal Evangelism pp 82